I am sure those of you out there who are from Barbados or have visited the South Coast and dined up and down the stretch are familiar with an establishment called ‘the View.’ Famous for… um… Rihanna went partying there one night, that’s it! Anyway, because everything else about the establishment failed to be noteworthy The View closed down and the restaurant was rennovated by some Italian businessmen. Enter Il Forno- genuine Italian restaurant and pizzaria.
For a couple months I had been toying with the idea of venturing to Il Forno and see what it is they have to offer to the hungry patrons of the South Coast and I finally made it there this week.
Reasons for the burning:
- While waiting to be seated no one took notice of us for a few minutes to the point where we were not sure if we should just walk in and sit down or walk out.
- The person who seated us looked like that guy in The Machinist and I swore the temperature of the room dropped when he walked by.
- The waitress who served us was as pleasant as cold sore.
- When asked anything she gave half-hearted responses and was not very knowledgeable to begin with. (e.g. “That bottle there, is that extra virgin?” “No it’s olive oil.” not to mention “What does this dish come with?” “Pasta” “Yes, fine, but what type of pasta?” “Spaghetti” No, it was not spaghetti.
- The food was average at best and the wait time seemed too long for a simple meal of pasta and tomato sauce (no meat) and a calzone.
- The calzone was over-stuffed with ricotta cheese and made a mess when I cut into it.
- Who I suspect to be the owners or at the very least the managers of the establishment could not run the credit card machine because they did not have the code. The person who had the code was across the street at the bank making change for Il Forno and we saw him coming back after they told us to go along and settle our bill later.
- That person was then sent home for a week
The meal came to $48. The guy lost a week’s wage. Something about that doesn’t quite seem fair. Is it his fault that noone else has the codes? At any rate the situation could have been handled differently and it was the perfect ending to an unimpressive lunch.